Well, the mystery is a mystery no more. After sifting through e-mails and phone calls, we now know from whence the elusive milk bottle stamped “Loudoun Farms Dairy” (our March What’s That! puzzler) originated …
An e-mail from Gene Schneider, son of a former milk deliveryman; and a phone conversation with Kathleen McDaniel Beaver from Purcellville, laid this story to rest.
The Loudoun Farms Dairy was the name of Kathleen’s father’s creamery business in Purcellville, which dates to the 1940’s and 50’s.
Milton McDaniel and a family relative started pasteurizing milk in the early 40’s, in a building located below the present-day Magnolia’s restaurant on 21st Street. “Loudoun Farms Dairy” was an amalgamation of numerous milk producers in Loudoun and was the first and only local pasteurization plant in the area. Local dairy farmers had their milk delivered to the creamery in tall cans – often by Gene’s father, Henry Schneider – where milk was pasteurized, bottled and delivered to consumers in crates. In those days of home delivery, Kathleen often stood in as the “milkman” herself, when labor was short and business was brisk.
Sometime after the Second World War, the United States saw an increase in pasteurization technology and production. Milk trucks replaced milk cans, and stores began stocking their shelves with cheaper, mass-produced dairy products . The Loudoun Farms Dairy creamery was sold in the early 1950’s.
During their short heyday, the Loudoun Farms Dairy bottle design changed a few times. Kathleen was more than surprised to learn that one of her dad’s bottles recently sold at auction for $700. Now, put that in your straw and sip it!
Our thanks to Kathleen Beavers and Gene Schneider for putting a face to the Loudoun Farms Dairy.
As a footnote, Kathleen added that her dad, Milton, made his mark in Purcellville in other ways, as well. He was Chief of Fire Co 2 for several years, starting when he was only 17. He was instrumental in bringing sirens to the area to call in volunteers to fight fires, installing the first one on the building now known as the Purcellville Restaurant. The Purcellville Restaurant, I’ll betcha, thanks a subsequent Fire Chief for moving it, later.
Ok … So What Are These Interesting Items?
The two items below were found on a property that functioned as a Quaker dairy farm in the mid 1800’s.
One is, of course, a horseshoe … or maybe a muleshoe?
We’d love our readers to weigh in on what they know about how you tell what kind of animal would have worn this shoe and how the animal might have been used. The shoe measures about 7 inches by 7 inches and has two tabs near the front and four strong bolts – two at the top and two heavier ones at the bottom (open end).
The second item is a heavy piece of circular metal with four holes that look like they might have been used to bolt the item to the side of a building or another piece of metal. The piece measures about 4-1/2 inches across, and has a scalloped edge and a large metal loop. Can you help us unearth some information about these two items? Until next time! …