A residential sprinkler system activation in one of the condominiums located at 19375 Cypress Ridge Terrace in Leisure World once again highlights the importance of residential sprinkler systems.
Around 12:30 p.m., Saturday, May 12, Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received a 9-1-1 call for a fire alarm at 19375 Cypress Ridge Terrace in Lansdowne. Units responding from Lansdowne and Ashburn arrived on the scene to find that a small fire on the kitchen stove in a ninth-floor unit had been extinguished by the sprinkler system. The residential sprinkler kept the fire from spreading. There was some water damage until the head could be shut off, however the atmosphere remained tenable, preserving life and keeping the property loss to a minimum.
The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that the fire, which resulted in estimated $10,000 damage, was accidental in nature. The residents of the apartment were relocated by the property management and no other resident displacement occurred. There were no reported injuries to residents or emergency personnel.